Michael starts the New Year off with his go-to list of the best Italian wines of 2012 for under 20 bucks. This is the first in a series of posts on Italian wines awarded the prestigious 3 Bicchieri (three glasses) rating by Gambero Rosso for 2012.
Keep this list handy and bookmark it for future reference, and don’t forget to Like us!
Looking for great Italian wines for under 20 bucks? There’s no need to spend $50+ to find a great bottle of wine if you’re willing to get off the beaten path and try some smaller producers in regions outside of the classic biggies of Barolo, Chianti, and Brunello.
Most Americans are looking for good wine value these days, shunning the expensive stuff and focusing on wines under $20. The good news is that for Italian wine lovers, there’s an emerging sweet spot for delicious and interesting Italian wines in the $14 to $20 range.
Gambero Rosso, the Italian foodie club, recently released their annual Vini d’Italia wine reference guidebook (and the translated-to-English version Italian Wines in mid-2012). Their trusted panel of Vino Italiano experts tasted over 20,000 wines from 2,350 producers (yes, that many) and awarded just 375 wines with their prestigious 3 bicchieri (“three glasses”) rating for 2012.
What do many of these lucky Italian wine producers do when they find out their wines have won a 3 bicchieri rating? Well, they raise their prices, of course! Unfortunately, this puts many of these stellar wines out of reach of most lovers of Vino Italiano.
Here’s the good news: not all of the winning Italian wine producers instantly raise their prices, and there are many delicious 3 bicchieri wines that stay around the $20 price point (“sotto €15” as they say in the guidebook). For 2012, there are exactly *51* of these 3 bicchieri winners that are well within reach of Italian wine lovers like us.
Over 50 remarkable vini you’ve gotta try.
I’ve listed below all 51 of the 3 bicchieri winners of 2012 that go for $20 or less, organized by region with a link to wine-searcher.com so you can find them online. Here are a few highlights (and personal favorites):
- For Chianti fans, Tenuta di Lilliano outside of Castellina in Chianti makes a top quality Chianti Classico 2009 for just $16 (only $14 by the case at Saratoga Wine Exchange). This Chianti is a great value, check it out.
- The fresh, bright fruit in the Soave Classico Monte Alto 2009 by Ca’ Rugate (just west of Verona in Montecchia di Crosara) goes great with fish and fowl. It’s a little tougher to find, but worth the hunt (a wee bit higher at $22 as of this writing from Zachy’s). Ca’ Rugate makes some great wines at reasonable prices, and this gem is no exception.
- How about a little Lambrusco? Forget that super sweet, headache-inducing plonk you drank in the 80’s (ok, that was me) and try this fantastic Lambrusco Vecchia Modena Premium 2010 by the proud folks at Chiarli 1860 in the outskirts of Modena. This little gem has wonderful, rich fruit with floral and spicy notes on the nose and palate – and only $14 a bottle at the Ultimate Wineshop.
Finding these 3 bicchieri winning wines.
Importers come and go, and some of these celebrated wines are produced in small quantities, but you should still be able to find many of them online or in shops that carry a decent selection of Italian wines. Here are a couple of ways you can hunt down these search-worthy wines:
- Ask your local wine shop if they can get it in from the distributor or importer. Your wine shop may not be familiar with some of these producers, and they’ll have to do some research – but if they want your business, they’ll put in the effort.
- Check wine-searcher.com, which is probably the most comprehensive search engine for wine globally. I’ve enabled wine-searcher.com search links below to get you started, but since retailers often do not list full (proper) wine names on their websites, you’ll have to play around with the search phrase to find all retailers that carry it.
- Example: searching for Ca’ Rugate Soave Classico Monte Alto 2009 only turns up 1 retailer (Zachy’s), but searching for Rugate Soave Monte Alto 2009 turns up 2 retailers. To find the most options (and best prices) when searching on wine-searcher.com, use the fewest words necessary such as the producer name (Rugate), the wine name (Soave Monte Alto), and the year (2009).
- Consider the Pro Version: If you’re like me and buy a lot of wine online, I highly recommend subscribing to the Pro Version of wine-searcher.com. It’s $39 a year and lists 2 to 3 times more retailers than the standard (free) version – well worth the money.
- If you have trouble finding a wine, leave a comment below and I’ll try and help you find it. If you really want to try a wine listed and it’s not imported into the US yet, I may be able to place a special order for you straight from the wine producer’s cantina.
And the winners are…
Here’s the Gambero Rosso Vini d’Italia 2012 list of 3 Bicchieri winners that retail for under $20 (“sotto €15”).
If you’d like to get your very own personal copy of the Vini d’Italia 2012 Guidebook,
click here to contact me.
Note: The wines are listed by region, from North to South, with the producer name in bold followed by the full official wine name.
|Elio Ottin Valle d’Aosta Petite Arvine 2010||search|
|Le Château Feuillet Valle d’Aosta Petite Arvine 2010||search|
|Orsolani Erbaluce di Caluso La Rustìa 2010||search|
|Favaro Erbaluce di Caluso Le Chiusure 2010||search|
|Cantina dei Produttori Nebbiolo di Carema Carema Etichetta Bianca 2007||search|
|Castello di Uviglie Barbera del Monferrato Superiore Le Cave 2009||search|
|Poggio dei Gorleri Riviera Ligure di Ponente Pigato Cycnus 2010||search|
|Laura Aschero Riviera Ligure di Ponente Vermentino 2010||search|
|Gummerhof – Malojer A. A. Lagrein Gries 2009||search|
|Stachlburq – Baron von Kripp A. A. Valle Venosta Pinot Bianco 2010||search|
|Erste+Neue A. A. Lago di Caldaro CI. Superiore Puntay 2010||search|
|Ca’ Rugate Soave Classico Monte Alto 2009||search|
|Suavia Soave Classico Monte Carbonare 2009||search|
|Cavalchina Custoza Superiore Amedeo 2009||search|
|Santi Valpolicella Classico Superiore Ripasso Solane 2009||search|
Friuli Venezia Giulia
|Ronchi di Manzano COF Friulano 2010||search|
|Ronco del Tassi Collio Bianco Fosarin 2010||search|
|Il Carpino Collio Bianco V. Runc 2010||search|
|Ronco del Gelso Friuli lsonzo Malvasia 2010||search|
|Tenuta Pertinello Colli della Romagna Centrale Sangiovese Pertinello 2008||search|
|Gianfranco Paitrinieri Lambrusco di Sorbara Leclisse 2010||search|
|Chiarli Lambrusco di Sorbara Vecchia Modena Premium 2010||search|
|Ermete Medici & Figli Reggiano Concerto 2010||search|
|Orsi – San Vito C. B. Pignoletto Classico V. del Grotto 2009||search|
|Villa Venti Sangiovese di Romagna Superiore Primo Segno 2009||search|
|Tre Monti Sangiovese di Romagna Superiore Petrignone Riserva 2008||search|
|Tenuta di Lilliano Chianti Classico 2009||search|
|Mattia Barzaghi Vernaccia di San Gimignano Zeta 2010||search|
|La Lastra Vernaccia di San Gimignano Riserva 2009||search|
|San Savino – Poderi Capecci Offida Pecorino Ciprea 2010||search|
|Borgo Paglianetto Verdicchio di Matelica Vertis 2009||search|
|Bisci Verdicchio di Matelica Vign. Fogliano 2008||search|
|Bellsario Verdicchio di Matelica Cambrugiano Riserva 2008||search|
|Marotti Campi Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Salmariano Riserva 2008||search|
|Tenuta di Tavignano Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Superiore Misco 2010||search|
|Monte Schiavo Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Superiore Pallio di S. Floriano 2010||search|
|La Distesa Verdicchio del Castelli di Jesi Superiore Gli Eremi Riserva 2009||search|
|Casale Marchese Clemens 2009||search|
|Sergio Mottura Grechetto Poggio della Costa 2010||search|
|Poggio Le Volpi Frascati Superiore Epos 2010||search|
|Podere Castorani Montepulciano d’Abruzzo Amorino 2007||search|
|Tiberio Pecorino 2010||search|
|Di Majo Norante Molise Aglianico Contado Riserva 2009||search|
|Rocca del Principe Fiano di Avellino 2010||search|
|Pietracupa Greco di Tufo 2010||search|
|Musto Carmelitano Aglianico del Vulture Serra del Prete 2009||search|
|Torrevento Castel del Monte Rosso V. Pedale Riserva 2008||search|
|Settesoli Cartagho Mandrarossa 2009||search|
|Planeta Plumbago 2009||search|
|Tenute Sella & Mosca Vermentino di Gallura Superiore Monteoro 2010||search|
|Giuseppe Gabbas Cannonau di Sardegna Dule Riserva 2008||search|
What’s your 2012 New Years resolution on vino?
It’s that time of year – did you make a New Year’s resolution about your vino drinking? Looking to move your wine habits to a better neighborhood, so to speak? Check out what others are doing for 2012 in our Facebook survey on New Year wine drinking resolutions.
Don’t forget to Like Us on Facebook if you’re a fellow Italian Wine Lover.